Friday, March 15, 2013

Tuning Out the World

Do you ever feel so overwhelmed with all of the demands of the world that it becomes hard to remember the truly simple and important things? I was just sitting here in the middle of watching a show, when I decided to turn it off and play some music. I just sat there and all that I could do was listen to the keys of the piano as they moved up and down. Please close your eyes or continue reading on as you play this video below. The song is called Rocket to the Moon by Jim Brickman. Just let your mind take you wherever it needs to go.


I don't know a lot about this song. It just happened to play on my pandora playlist and it caught my attention, but I love the message - "A Rocket to the Moon". While others may have their interpretations of this song - I imagine  the simple message of escape.

Someone that feels so bogged down on the things that are going on in their life takes an escape on a rocket to the moon. From the moon they can see the world in a perfect view. They think about how little the world is compared to the whole universe. They think about how there is so much more to this life than the everyday tasks that consumes them. They know that they cannot stay on the moon forever, so when they come back down, they are prepared to look at life a little differently, a little simpler. They are ready to take on their challenges again.


A couple days ago I went to the temple to support one of my friends who was going through for the first time. I took the afternoon off of work and the whole experience was truly amazing. The temple truly is an out of world experience and everything there is put into an eternal perspective. Everything ended so quickly though, because soon enough it was the next day and I had to go to work again. I had to deal with this things of the world. I came home from my lunch break feeling so crummy, feeling like I needed another escape - another LONG escape. Coming home today I felt the same way. Sometimes my work can be very demanding and I am a girl who does not do well in demanding environments. I know I won't be working at this job for the rest of my life, but sometimes it's hard to see the end of the tunnel. Sometimes I just want to give up.

Your perspective about life can change even in the little moments of discouragement if you remember to take time to tune out the things of the world. Remember that you are not going to always be doing what you are wanting to do with your life, and thats okay. Tuning out the world can be something so simple as turning on music while you close your eyes. It can also be reading a book or doing a hobby you enjoy. Whatever it is that helps you to tune out, I encourage you to take those tuning out moments everyday so that when you are in the moment of being demanded by the world, you will be able to have that perspective that everything is going to be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment