Saturday, September 13, 2014

Negative to Positive Thought: Day 6 and 7

This past Monday it was pretty stormy. Now normally, this would not be a problem because I love summer storms. My calling in my ward is a member of the additional relief society meeting committee. My job this month was to go around to houses in the ward and put flyers on peoples doors as a reminder for our upcoming activity.  Now this is MUCH harder to do with a baby and while it is storming. I got a few houses done in the morning before the storm started, but had to stop earlier than I wanted to because Marshall started crying in his stroller. When I got him home I put him down for his nap. I thought that I would continue to do more flyers once he woke up, but that is when the storm started. I did not want to bring Marshall out in the rain.

Something you may not know about me is that when I have some sort of responsibility I like to get it done quickly. I love the feeling of getting something done so I do not have to stress about it anymore. I really do stress about everything! There are a lot of nights where I cannot seem to fall asleep because I am thinking and stressing about things - most of those things which are out of my control. 

So, once the storm started, I knew that I would not be able to finish my flyers that day. I thought, "Out of all days, why does this have to be the day that it stormed?". I realized quickly that I was thinking about the storm negatively. I put my flyers out of sight, and opened the window so I could smell and listen to the storm. As soon as I did this, the stress melted away and I felt very grateful to the Lord for giving me that quiet and peaceful moment. Maybe the storm was exactly what I needed.

The next day, it continued to storm. I started to stress again because I still needed to get the flyers on the doors with the activity being the next day. When Jake got home from school later that afternoon it was still raining. I told him that I needed to get the flyers delivered to peoples doors. I wanted him to stay home with Marshall so I could go around in the rain and get them delivered. He insisted that he help me deliver them by driving me around the ward. As soon as we left the house it stopped raining. It was almost like the Lord wanted me to wait so Jake could help me. So instead of thinking negatively about the storm, and also the fact that I had to deliver the flyers, I decided to be grateful for the time I was able to spend with Jake. I am also grateful that I have a husband who is willing to help me and supports me. 

Day 6 and 7, complete! Read my 7 day challenge here.

No comments:

Post a Comment