Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Prayer is a Scary Thing

A couple days ago when I was feeling pretty low, I felt impressed to pray to my Heavenly Father. I don't know if it is  like this for other people, but sometimes praying is a scary thing for me. I know that it should not be scary, but I guess sometimes I fear what my Heavenly Father thinks of me. Almost like I always want to be "perfect" in his eyes. I don't want to show him that I am not perfect and that I need his help. I don't want to show him that I am vulnerable. . .

As I started to pray, I felt an immediate peace and comfort. I wondered why I was so scared in the first place. I soon realized that I have been setting unrealistic expectations of what He thinks of me. My Heavenly Father does not expect me to be perfect, and he actually expects me to need help from him. I truly believe that this is what he wants.

Now that I am a mom, I understand how much Heavenly Father wants to help me. I understand that he knows that I am not capable of being perfect, and that that is okay. He is ready and he is willing to help.

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, second counselor in the first presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints gave a talk titled, "The Love of God".
In his talk he says:
"Think of the purest, most all-consuming love you can imagine. Now multiply that love by an infinite amount - that is the measure of God's love for you.
"God does not look on the outward appearance. I believe that He doesn't care one bit if we live in a castle or a cottage, if we are handsome or homely, if we are famous or forgotten. Though we are incomplete, God loves us completely. Though we are imperfect, He loves us perfectly. Though we may feel lost and without compass, God's love encompasses us completely.
"He loves us because he is filled with an infinite measure of holy, pure, and indescribable love. We are important to God not because of our resume but because we are His children. He loves every one of us, even those who are flawed, rejected, awkward, sorrowful, or broken. God's love is so great that he loves even the proud, the selfish, the arrogant, and the wicked.
"What this means is that, regardless of our current state, there is hope for us. No matter our distress, no matter our sorrow, no matter our mistakes, our infinitely compassionate Heavenly Father desires that we draw near to Him so that He can draw near to us."

President Uchtdorf says it perfectly. Let me quote him again:

"... Heavenly Father desires that we draw near to Him so that He can draw near to us."

We do not need to be perfect. He does not expect us to be perfect. He wants us to come to him no matter what our state is. He wants a relationship with us. The more that we pray to him, the more our relationship will grow with him. He is the one person that we can turn to who will love us unconditionally. But, we can only develop this relationship if we first come to him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment