Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Seven Day Challenge: Negative to Positive Thoughts

I woke up this morning with a very stiff neck. In fact, I can't really turn my head to my right. I remember waking up moaning as soon as I felt the stiffness. Marshall usually ends up in bed with me and Jake sometime during the early morning hours. I have his neck on my arm in a cuddling position, which means that I usually am not in a very comfortable position myself. I can usually sleep despite this because of how tired I am. Well this night around, it definitely effected my neck. Right now I have a heat pad around my neck and the pain does not feel like it is going to go away any time soon.

I read a quote this morning that got me to thinking, maybe this stiff neck is not so bad. . .

"We can choose 
to be gratefulno matter what.
This type of gratitude transcends 
whatever is happening round us.
It surpasses disappointment, 
discouragement, and despair
It blooms just as beautifully 
in the icy landscape of winter
as it does in the 
pleasant warmth of the summer."
- President Dieter F. Utchdorf

I love this quote because it encourages us to be grateful in any type of circumstance. It helps us to see the light at the end of the storm. It encourages us to be happy. This kind of gratitude can always be in our reach if we let it.

Yes, I do have a stiff neck, but the reason that it is stiff is actually beautiful. I have been blessed with an amazing son. Heavenly Father trusted me enough to bless me with Marshall and take care of him. I know there are many people throughout the world who would give anything just to have a child of their own, but they cannot. So even though Marshall ends up hogging the bed and gives me little room to get comfortable, I am grateful that I have a little boy to snuggle with. For this stiff neck, I am very grateful.

So my challenge to you, and also to myself is to recognize at least one negative thought that we have each day, and turn it into a positive thought. I also challenge us to write these thoughts down so we can remember and reflect upon these thoughts easier. By the end of the seven days, I will share with you my thoughts, and what I have learned from this experience. I encourage you to do the same. 


No comments:

Post a Comment