Friday, January 29, 2016

Back into the Groove

Wow, it has been a while since I last posted! Before I get into the nitty gritty of specifics into what has been going on in our lives lately, I would like to announce here on my blog that I am pregnant yet again! This time with a baby girl.



Okay, now lets back up. The last few months of 2015 were HARD. While this pregnancy was planned, I was not planning on being so sick. I was literally bed-ridden. Whenever I got up out of bed, mainly to help my little Marshall, I would throw up. Marshall ran havoc throughout our whole apartment in order to keep himself entertained. He really was such a good sport about the whole thing though. He is a clingy boy and likes being around me, so it was easy to keep an eye on him. Jake did not have much time to help around the house. He was busy with optometry school and had his own struggles there - which I will get to later. He would call me every night before he came home, ask me what I felt like for dinner, and then bring it home. Having fast food every night was not ideal, but that's all that we could do at the time. Being home all of the time, constantly throwing up, definitely left me in a sour and depressed mood. When I get depressed, I tend to keep to myself. No one really knew what I was struggling with, which I regret now. I know there are a ton of people that would have been willing to help me and my family.

Jake had struggles of his own. School was getting really hard for him. The main reason was because he had a problem with focusing and staying on task when he needed to study. What we found out was that he has ADHD. We found a psychologist for him to go to and diagnose him. Then he was able to go to a doctor and get the proper medication to help him focus. This whole process took some time though - time that we did not think that we had as his first semester was coming to an end.

Things started to look up for both of us at about the same time. My first trimester was finally over as well as my sickness. Jake's medication turned him into a study fanatic and he was able to pass all of his classes. Then we went back home to Utah for a month. It was a good and very much needed break from everything that we had been dealing with.

*     *     *     *     *

Fast forward to the new year - 2016. Jake and I have found our groove again. Jake's new semester is keeping him busy, but he has a whole new confidence about tackling the course load. I am able to clean the house, take care of Marshall, and make dinners again.

Marshall is now 20 (almost 21) months old! The more he grows, the more I am learning about him and his personality. He is not a fearless boy. Things that I know that he is capable of doing, like sitting down to go down a slide, he is scared to do on his own.



 He definitely has stranger danger with kids and adults. Once he gets to know people, he is usually fine though. He does prefer to play on his own. Nursery is quite hard for him, but he is slowly learning that the other kids are okay and that mommy will eventually be back to pick him up. Some words that he likes to say: sock, shoe, doggy, car, ball, "hi guys", please, thank you, binky, "moo", e-i-e-i-o, amen, bye, and baby. When I ask him where the baby is, he points to my tummy. He also knows where quite a few other body parts are and can point to them, (mainly on his face). He loves watching Despicable Me, and throwing rocks outside.



He also loves to run, mainly away from me. He is quite short for his age, but his cheeks and curly hair make up for it. He loves to read books and to push buttons. He takes a great 2-3 hour nap every day, and goes to bed at about 7:30 p.m. and wakes up at about 7:00 a.m. He also loves baths and always freaks out with excitement when he hears the water turn on.

He likes taking things at his own, very slow, pace. It's hard for me to not do things for him, but I am trying to learn patience that he will get things and understand things when he is ready to and that it is okay that he is slower.



Maylee (that's our baby girls name, right Jake?!) is now 23 weeks along and I love feeling her kick. I am sticking out quite a bit more this pregnancy, but everyone still says I look tiny. It feels amazing that we are going to have a girl. I thought that she was a boy at the beginning, but the further along I went, I felt like she was a girl. Jake and I decided to find out early while we were in Utah, and it was such a crazy feeling to find out that we were having a GIRL! I always told Jake that we were going to keep having kids until we had a girl. We are definitely not done after her though. Her expected day of arrival is May 28th. She and Marshall will be 2 years apart. We are excited to welcome her, and all of the cute girl clothes that come a long with her, into our family!

Oh! Did I mention that I think she is getting Marshall's cheeks?!

We are happy with the current stage of our lives. We have also made some new goals for our new and fresh start. They mainly have to do with being more consistent with our prayers and scripture study as a family. I cannot say that we have been perfect with it, but we are doing so much better and it makes such a difference in our day to day lives.

Here is to a happy and fresh new year!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting, Shelly! It is so good to hear what you are up to. I am glad things have taken a turn for the better. I love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting, Shelly! It is so good to hear what you are up to. I am glad things have taken a turn for the better. I love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete