Sunday, April 9, 2017

Anniversary, Potty Training, Studying, and Trials

This past Thursday, I thought it would be a good idea to start potty training Marshall. He was showing a lot of the signs, and so I was encouraged to give a go at it. I decided to take the 'naked' approach, since I have heard a lot of success stories with that. That morning he did have a few accidents, but he also went on the potty several times. I was really encouraged and impressed. Then something happened. I made him lunch and he just started whining. He would not eat and would not tell me what was wrong. I checked his head and he felt warm. He had a fever! I did not think my efforts to start potty training would end in a sick boy. Needless to say, I stopped potty training to give him some comfort.

This same day was also our five year anniversary of marriage.  Jake had a test that day so he was busy studying. Then that night he had school dinner that I let him attend because my dinner tasted awful, and ended up in the trash! When he got home, all we had time for was to exchange gifts, and then he was off to study for his next test. Maybe I was cursed for starting potty training on this day, but in the famous words of Alexander, it was a 'terrible, horrible, no good, very bad, day'.



The next day, Jake and I were planning on going out to a nice restaurant to celebrate our anniversary.  However, Marshall still had a fever and was cranky. I knew that our date night was not going to happen. I told our babysitter that we were going to have to postpone for another night. Sadly, we did not get to hang out with each other at home because Jake had a big test he needed to study for. In fact, Jake's been studying all weekend, and it's been hard. It's always hard when he is studying, which is most every day of our lives, but this weekend has just felt harder.

I had to stay home from church today because Marshall was still not feeling well. It gave me plenty of time to watch church related videos. I watched an interview between a few ladies and they were talking about trials. One of them quoted something from Orson F. Whitney, that really hit home for me.
"No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude, and humility. All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable, more worthy to be called the children of God . . . and it is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire and which will make us more like our Father and Mother in Heaven."

When I heard this, I was reminded why I am meant to have trials and tribulations. This is what I signed up for! This is the Lord's plan and it is such a wonderful plan. We are meant to have trials so that we can grow and become our best possible selves. We would not feel a need for improvement and growth if we did not have trials. Sometimes in the midst of trials it is hard to remember this. I know my trials are for a wise purpose.

I am also so blessed! All I have to do is look at my family and our current situation, and I realize how lucky I am to have the opportunities that I do have. There is a lot of scary stuff going on in the world right now. So many people have it so much worse than I do. So with that in mind, I am going to continue on, strive to serve, and try to be my best self. I know that things will work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment